Some Basic Definitions
Sorters--the questionnaires that measure your preferences. We offer three: Early Child (ages 4-8years), Middle Child (ages 9-12 years) and the Adult/Parent Sorter. (All can be reached through SorterGateway.)
Preferences- basic building blocks of inborn temperament differences
- These come in four pairs. Your sorter results show which of each pair you "prefer".
- Introversion versus Extraversion
- Intuition versus Sensing
- Feeling versus Thinking
- Perceiving versus Judging
The Temperaments--useful combinations of two different preferences
- These also come in sets of four
- Sensing and Perceiving (SP)
- Sensing and Judging (SJ)
- INtuition and Feeling (NF, with N standing for Intuition)
- INtuition and Thinking (NT, with N standing for Intuition
The Types--the combinations made from your four preference choices.
- The four preferences chosen from eight pairs result in 16 possible types
- Each has unique characteristics from the preferences themselve and their actions on each other
This probably sounds complicated, but the best way (and the most fun way) to understand it is simply to answer one of the Sorters and read through your results. For that, you can go to any one of the Sorters listed under "Temperament Sorters" in the Menu above.